Thinking that you are ready to take your eCommerce business to another level and actually doing it are two entirely different concepts. In order to actually succeed, you need to think about what makes an eCommerce site really successful.
Having great products and a decent checkout function isn’t enough; you also need to think about the customer experience.
eCommerce is an extremely competitive industry so if you want to stay ahead of the competition, here are 6 essential must-haves that will help you make your e-store a success.
Clear Design and Intuitive Navigation
As you might already know, poorly structured websites don’t perform very well and often struggle to make conversions. According to Statista, 6 out of 10 shoppers consider the usability of a site very important when they are shopping online. So, the first thing you need to do is make sure your online shop’s structure and shop categories are clear.
The goal is to make it easier for shoppers to find what they are looking for. Ensure that the navigation is intuitive and that the labeling makes sense to your customers. Do some research and consult with your team to come up with the best solutions.
In addition to having a user-focused design, you should also make sure that your e-store works across all devices, as this is crucial for boosting conversions.
Focus on Mobile Experience
In 2019, about two billion people made purchases from a mobile device, with about 95% of them conducting research from it before completing an online or in-store checkout. About $1 in every $4 generated in eCommerce comes from mobile, with annual spending of over $35 billion. By 2021, smartphone retail eCommerce sales in the US are expected to surpass $345 billion, which is up from $148 billion in 2018.
With this in mind, having a mobile-friendly eCommerce website is an absolute must. Your e-store should have a mobile-first strategy to make sure you are getting conversions from all types of devices. So, if you decide to go mobile, make sure to take care of the following:
- Ensure that mobile navigation is easy to use
- Ensure that your mobile version is clear and simple with clear links and CTA buttons
- Make sure the checkout cart functions well on mobile
- Make sure to have good mobile versions of all images.
Inventory Management System
When it comes to growing a successful eCommerce business, managing inventory is one of the biggest challenges. As your business expands and the volume of orders starts to increase, managing your operations manually will become impossible.
But how do you go about creating an inventory management system? There are two ways you can track your inventory – by using specific inventory management software or in a spreadsheet. No matter which one of these you choose for your eCommerce store, there are a few essential steps you must take like organizing your locations, describing and numbering your items, etc. If you want to read some more on the individual steps you need to take, you can look into this guide by ApparelMagic : how to create a inventory management.
Using an inventory management system helps reduce the possibility of human errors that might result in a damaged company reputation and lost sales. In fact, inventory management tools offer numerous benefits, including:
- Making the process of inventory management much easier, saving you energy, money, and time
- Tracking low stock levels to help you avoid the occurrence of stock-outs;
- Helping you shorten supplier lead time, calculate your safety stock, reduce obsolete and excess stock, etc.
- Providing sales data enabling you to make more informed business decisions.
Detailed Product Descriptions
Even though this might sound like a no-brainer, detailed and accurate product descriptions can help shoppers make buying decisions much easier. Look at it this way: your product descriptions are actually your sales staff. That’s why they need to be informative and clear.
Product descriptions should contain information like size, dimensions, texture, fabric, materials, colors, warranties, etc. On the other hand, they mustn’t look dull and sterile. Try to capture the customers’ imagination by telling the story of each product and how it can benefit them. Will it save them money, time, help them look better, or be more productive?
Don’t forget to Include an FAQ’s section as well, to help resolve any doubts your customers might have about the products.
High-Quality Product Images
When it comes to eCommerce sites, product photography might be the single most important element as it is often the first experience with a product. So, how do you make it count?
- Make sure that your photos are of high quality with good lighting
- Include a gallery of images to showcase all features of the product
- Allow shoppers to see the product being used so they can relate to the experience
- In addition, let them see a bigger version of the image with a zoom function.
Simplify the Checkout Process
According to statistics, websites with poorly designed or planned checkout process might end up losing more than 65% of their customers. A good checkout process is a combination of usability, functionality, and security. Here are a few ideas to help you create a smooth and simple checkout experience:
- Make the ‘checkout’ button stands out
- Optimize your website’s load time, especially on mobile devices
- Never ‘ambush’ customers with unexpected costs at checkout
- Allow for easy editing of the cart contents
- Show images of the products in the cart
- Show shipping information clearly
- Make contacting support easy
- Display security logos
Thousands of new eCommerce businesses appear every day but 9 out of 10 will not survive the first year. These 6 must-haves should help you make a difference between eCommerce success and failure.